The question came up on the Facebook Garter Snake group last month: why are garter snakes underrated and overlooked by reptile keepers?
Snakes aren’t necessarily the most popular of animals, but even among reptile keepers, garter snakes aren’t terribly popular. It’s not that serious reptile keepers are openly disdainful of them; they just don’t seem to be all that interested in them. Go to any reptile expo and you’ll see table after table filled with ball pythons, leopard geckos and other popular species; chances are you’ll be hard pressed to find any garter snakes.
- Keeping Garter Snakes Outdoors
- Questions, Recently I’ve received a couple of questions from readers who want to know about keeping garter snakes outdoors. Now I understand that this is actually done in Europe: garter snake keepers there set up these elaborate backyard facilities to house… »
- ‘That Reptile Smell’ and Beginner Garters
- Questions, Jack writes: Hi! I’m 13 years old and am looking into getting a garter snake. I have a suitable enclosure and equipment and can provide food, read your care guide along with some others, and there is now just one… »
- Keeping Garter Snakes Safe from Cats
- Questions, A question by e-mail from earlier today: “My 15-year-old daughter wants a garter snake, but we have two cats who’d love to eat a tasty, wriggly snake given the chance! How would I keep her snake safe? (She’ll be taking… »